Driver hospitality: Resources for truck drivers during COVID-19
Posted: April 20, 2020
We’ve been in uncharted territory nationwide - and even globally - these last few weeks. As truck drivers, your jobs have become increasingly more difficult as your work requires you to be out on the road with possibly less access to the things you need. While some regulations and business closures are making life on the road more challenging, we’re also proud to see how others are stepping up to ensure that truckers have access to the things they need. We wanted to put together a list of some of the resources available to drivers during this time to help you as you plan your routes:
- Love’s Travel Stops- All Love’s locations are open and continue to provide gas and diesel. Utilize the Love’s Connect app to pay electronically, check in for showers and keep track of your receipts. Their normally self-service areas are now full-service in order to provide the same food and beverage items while protecting your health and safety. Locations with open restaurants have adjusted hours from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Private shower rooms are still available while all gas rooms have been closed temporarily.
- Pilot Flying J - All Pilot and Flying J travel centers are open and selling gas, diesel and DEF. They’ve closed self-serve food stations, dining room seating, quick-service restaurants, and driver lounges. However, showers remain open and pre-packaged deli food is available for purchase. The Pilot Flying J website has a list of overnight closures for all their locations to help drivers plan accordingly: https://pilotflyingj.com/covid-response/
- TravelCenters of America and Petro Stopping Centers - All fuel lanes at TA and Petro Stopping Centers remain open. Showers are open and can be scheduled via their app. All truck parking - including Reserve-It - as well as the company’s RoadSquad 24-hour roadside assistance remain available to drivers. TA/Petro has closed a number of full-service restaurants and dine-in areas, but there are drive-thru, to-go and delivery options available in most states. Driver lounges and fitness centers are closed until further notice.
- Sapp Bros.- This travel center chain is providing free truck parking for a limited time. All locations remain open.
- Rest areas - The availability of rest areas varies from state-to-state during this time. For instance, Michigan has closed its 14 welcome centers, but outdoor restrooms (where available) and parking remain open to the public. Pennsylvania is keeping 13 of its 30 rest areas open for truck parking only. Each location will have five portable toilets available. Other states, including Ohio and Arkansas, have given food trucks permission to operate at rest areas to feed truck drivers. For the most up-to-date information, please check the transportation websites for each state you’ll be traveling through.
- Meals for 18 Wheels - This group helps get meals to drivers in need with the help of volunteers. Their Facebook page is monitored from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST daily for requests.
- TruckPark- The TruckPark is offering a one-time 25% off discount on parking with the code PARK25. The app will also now include access to a telemedicine provider. For $49, users can connect with a health care provider through a virtual appointment and the ability to have prescriptions sent to a nearby pharmacy.
- Comcast - Comcast is offering free access to Xfinity WiFi hotspots located in businesses and in outdoor locations around the country.
- Nebraska Trucking Association- The Nebraska Trucking Association is partnering with some of its members to offer drivers lunch vouchers at some of its Nebraska truck stop locations.
A number of national chains are also offering deals specifically for drivers during this time. These include:
- Cracker Barrel - Stop by participating Cracker Barrel locations for complimentary coffee or fountain drinks, restrooms and to-go orders.
- Denny’s - In order to serve truckers as quickly and safely as possible, drivers can order online or call ahead and Denny’s will have your food ready when you pull up. Use the code Driver15 online at checkout for 15% off through 5/24/20.
- Long John Silver’s - Drivers can get 10% off their orders any day of the week and 20% off on Thursdays through 5/31/2020.
- Ruby Tuesday- Truckers get 25% off to-go orders at Ruby Tuesday locations between noon and 8 p.m.
- Papa John’s Pizza- Use the code DELIVER25 and get 25% of all regular menu prices online at papajohns.com.
- Drury Inn - This hotel chain is offering a special transportation rate nationwide. Drivers can get a room with free breakfast and WiFi starting at $59 plus tax per night.
Do you know of any other safe parking, deals on food, or other important resources available to truckers during this time? If so, please let us know. We’d love to help spread the word! Thank you again to Big G Express drivers – and all professional drivers out there – who are keeping our supply chain connected and America’s essential workforce supplied.